RSS FEED

Allow me to reintroduce myself

It's been a long time since I've written anything here. And even a longer period of time that anyone has even paid attention to this blog, i.e. never. #HeyOh.

First of all, let me say, after ignoring it for so long, I'm finally on Twitter. Please follow @LargesseMorlu!

A lot has happened since my last post in 2012, with music and contemporary events. Like a muthafuckin' lot. I won't even begin to try and summarize it all (R.I.P. Prince, Muhammad Ali, and Phife Dawg tho), but two things come to mind: the radicalization of the #BlackLivesMatter movement and what I possibly believe could be the New Black Renaissance. The former reflects both tremendous tragedy and an exciting time. The brutally racist and recorded killings of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, happening within 24 hours of each other earlier this year, ignited a fire under us, and we are demanding not only justice but permanent change, a thorough reorganization of society and its perpetuation of privilege.

The latter is an acknowledgement on my part that within the past few years we have gotten some of the best black music in years. Highly creative, artistic, forward-thinking, progressive, even political, etc. etc. And often that shit still bangs (see: "Alright"). I think things got started with the return of D'Angelo and his Black Messiah (2014),
but please, tell me different. This could be a wonderful discussion. Plus, it's not just music. It's been reflected in art, literature (both fiction and non-fiction), television shows, films, documentaries (can't wait to watch Ava DuVernay's 13TH), etc. It's an exciting time. Oh wait. I guess Donald Trump, an arrogantly racist blowhard and voice for fascism and white supremacy in America, is the 2016 Republican presidential candidate—lets call that three things. All three are interconnected, and I hope to write about them and other things in a new light that will make you think about them differently, the real job of a writer. And yeah, the writer thing. It's still a semi-aspiration now, and I'm nowhere near the level of even an amateur blogger, never mind a published writer. So, I'm working on it.

The title of my blog and its convoluted meaning

One last thing. I have to admit I tried to force my favorite MF Doom lyric to being the title of this blog. I tried to give it meaning, wanted it to fit. But I am grown. It doesn't have to mean shit, really.


Villain, hold the mic like he's mean and his tummy hurt
In a clean pair of ripped jeans and a bummy shirt


-Madvillain, "Monkey Suite"
from Stones Throw Records compilation Chrome Children (2006)


This is classic DOOM. The villain is gangsta but in a way that's cartoonish, absurd (tummy hurts? LMAO), a kind of mock gangsta rapper. It's hilarious. I've never put this out of my mind within the 10 years since this came out. So, I altered my header text a little: "tired, exhaustive, HUNGRY". I'm frustrated with the current state of affairs but I crave sustenance, meaning? Fuck Trump (and the Dems too tbh), I want change, progress? Mehhh, you figure out what it means. I simply love the lyric. And I'm ok with my blog title meaning nothing, despite how pretentious it makes me look.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top