RSS FEED

my current "needs to be copped" list

I was all types of broke when I was in college, but somehow I still managed to collect all types of CDs and occasionally vinyl. Now, I'm all grown up, and I'm broke..... but I'm broke for real. In no particular order, I want to share my list of albums that I'm still eager to cop, despite how late I am on picking them up. If anyone who reads this has more suggestions, please post them up.

Esperanza Spalding - Radio Music Society

I love me some Hope, i.e. Esperanza, although I find myself frustrated that I lean more towards her R&B-leaning cuts than her pure jazz tracks. She's a badass bassist and interesting composer/improviser, so I would like to see more of that. However, if the Algebra Blessett duo, "Black Gold," is indicative of this "radio" album, then it's going to be more of the former. Still, can't be mad at that.


Big K.R.I.T. - Live from the Underground

MC of the hour right here..... at least for me anyways. I won't say too much here, because I'm working on a write-up for him (á la BBNG).


Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Since I've already given this project props, I should already own this. But alas, I do not. I still believe it MUST be good. There's no way it's not.


Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls

A new garage-y rock band on the scene. I see you all's collective eyes roll, but this band is special. They are heavily influenced by the Stax, Memphis, and Muscle Shoals soul sounds, and the lead singer Brittany Howard's voice is painfully wonderful (think female Otis Redding). I want to marry her love it. The band is based out of Athens, AL, which is about an hour's drive from that legendary soul-recording city, Muscle Shoals. The few tracks I've heard on Spotify of this debut LP have me a little discouraged, but I still want to check this out.


The Black Keys - El Camino

I'm embarrassed to say I've yet to pick this up. When did this come out? Anyways, The Black Keys seem to be one of the biggest bands in America right now (ironically maybe?), so I don't need to say much about this.


Georgia Anne Muldrow - Seeds

Now, all these albums are good picks, at least in my opinion, but this might be the most intriguing album of all. I'm not a full-fledged fan of the cerebral, post-neo-soul of GAM, but mainly because I simply just don't understand many of her otherworldly projects. Every now and then, she releases a track or album where I recognize her brilliance, be it her atmospheric production or lyrical creativity. Seeds is entirely produced by Madlib, and I've heard too many good things about this to pass it up. So, I'm definitely going to cop this. Problem though? It's not something you can find at Best Buy or major retail store—but also, apparently, some local record shops, as I've failed to find it at my usual spots. I still like the feeling of going into the store and buying it, but I may cave and order it online.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top