RSS FEED

okp review: fela kuti - the best of the black president (2009)

I'm still behind on my reviews (please forgive me OKP!), so I'm still posting up already published pieces for the time being. This is one of my favorite reviews. For Okayplayer, I reviewed the Fela compilation The Best of the Black President, which was released around the start of the incredible Broadway play Fela!. I would give more info on what Fela's music, Afro-beat, is and whatnot, but I introduce those things in the review. I'll have some more Afro-beat related posts coming too, which will fit in nicely with the whole black music month thing. Enjoy!

Fela Kuti - The Best of the Black President (2009)

There are several labels that have been ascribed to Nigerian Afro-Beat king Fela Kuti: visionary, trailblazer, misogynist, revolutionary, genius, etc. However, "prolific" has to be the most indisputable. Timed with the Broadway debut of the biographical musical Fela!, Knitting Factory Records will remaster and reissue nearly all of Fela’s back catalog...

1 comments:

Samir Barai

You are good bloger.Your writing queality is very nice,and i got so much to learn from your blog. It was excellent and very informative. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, It\92s really a great and useful piece of info.

Post a Comment

Return top