RSS FEED

song review: "groove" by lee hogans and pursuance



Rating:
from the forthcoming Summer 2012 album What We Play Is Life

I hate to admit this, but my knowledge of the contemporary jazz scene is embarrassing. But, at the same time, much of it doesn't move me like Mingus or Monk. Well, this new track, "Groove," from trumpeter/composer Lee Hogans and his band, Pursuance, doesn't dissuade me from feeling this way. It's actually an enjoyable, head-nodding groove with some exciting improvisations, but the track as a whole doesn't really capture my imagination.

Hogans, who developed his chops backing the likes of Jay-Z, Jill Scott, Diddy, and others on their respective tours, is clearly of the hip-hop generation. The rhythmic foundation of "Groove" - a steady, bouncing hip-hop/funk jamfest - is securely held down by the chemistry and interplay between bassist Kellen Harrison and drummer Jerome Jennings. It's real easy to get lost in that groove. In fact, so much so that it somewhat bears down on the vitality of the music. What does capture my attention, though, is how lyrical Hogans approaches his solos. His effective, punctuated phrases reminds me of a hip-hop MC who skillfully manipulates syllables to fit the rhythm of the beat. It also reminds me some of Freddie Hubbard's jazz-funk classic Straight Life (1972)—but only just a little. At best, "Groove" is nice, jamming background music, but nonetheless, I still look forward to hearing what he's cooked up for the rest of his What We Play Is Life album.

For more info on Lee Hogans: http://www.bachbrass.com/artists/profile.php?aid=342

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top